Monday, November 2, 2009

The One With The Faux-Hawk

My boys don't like blaring music. I'm assuming this will change because Mallory doesn't seem to have a problem with it... most teenagers don't. (Hey, I was once one of those too!) Tonight at church we had a gospel quartet. This was actually a younger group that sang some really good stuff. But - their speakers were turned to the max and you know, they want to showcase their talent so every song was a major event. Nolie and I are sitting on the third row. On one of their particularly peppy songs I look down at Nolan and see that he is folding his earlobes up and over the opening of his ear because the music is loud. I reached over and encouraged him to place his hands in his lap. His response to this was to slump down in the pew - grab his ankles - and proceed to try and cover his ears with his Ben10 shoe-covered feet. What a sight. I glance up to the stage and notice that one of the singers was becoming tickled at Nolan's antics. I mouthed the words, "Sorry" but at that point we both began to laugh. Good grief.

Well, Nolan finally adjusted to the music. And it was good. Quartet members usually dress alike or dress up. This group dressed up in suits. Nolan keeps trying to tell me something:
"Mom, you see that guy in the black suit?"
"Which one, honey? They are all wearing black suits."
"That one."
"The one singing?"
"No, the one holding the microphone like this," holding his hand in an open fist in front of his mouth. :-)
"Babe, they are all holding microphones." I smiled.
At this point, he is getting frustrated. Number one, he is having to whisper and number two, I can't seem to understand which member of the group he is talking about. So I lean a little bit closer.
"Which singer are you talking about? The one in the bright pink shirt?"
"No! The one with the faux-hawk."
Big word for my five year old.. Does he really know what a faux-hawk is?
"The one in the striped-shirt?" I ask because he is the only one in the group with a faux-hawk.
With a heavy sigh, Nolan closes one eye, brings his hand close to his face and points with his index finger speckled with green marker. "That one!"
It's becoming comical now. "The one playing the piano?"
The music gets soft and just before the audience begins to applaud - finger still pointing - in the quiet Nolan loudly says "Right there!"
I quickly reach over and put his hand back down. "Shhhhh. Okay - what about him?"
"Did he just say that Jesus was white as snow?" he asked - one eyebrow up and one corner of his mouth turned up.
I had to smile.
"Just listen to the music." I whispered.
"Okay." leaning his head against my shoulder.
I'm not even sure what song that came from. But it's nice to know he was somewhat paying attention. Covered ears and all. I'm excited for that time when Nolan knows what white as snow is all about. <3

2 comments:

  1. awwwww too cute! I can so hear him/see him doing all that!! He is just too darn cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Nolan!. Loud music is okay as long as it isn't too loud. It actually hurts my ears if it is, and I've left with a headache when it really pounds.

    Concerning children and quiet times at church: the family story goes that when my older sister was about 3, she said "Dang it! in a very loud voice during a lull in the church service. Given my dad's colorful (but PG rated vocabulary), I'm sure my mother was grateful that it wasn't worse than just dang it.

    ReplyDelete