Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bad Momma

Yes - I'm one of those moms. I just dropped Mallory off to go spend the night in a barn with some friends.
A barn. In the country. In the dark.

A barn which I cannot tell you how to get to. Every bit of my fears say "Nope. You don't need to go. Let some other mom send their daughter to a dark and creepy barn to sleep in for the night with all the barn bugs, barn mice, barn snakes, and other barn-type critters. Not you."
But my heart says - "Let her go. It's just a barn."
"I don't want her to go. What if she gets hurt? Or scared? She doesn't even like to walk to her car in the dark from our front door with the porch light on!!"
"She needs this - she needs you to trust her and trust her choice of friends. She needs to go and experience that independence and to learn to make smart choices."
If you are wondering - yes - this is the script that went on in my head when Mal asked me if she could go a few days ago. So, I have just dropped her off. And what did I drop her off to? A bunch of dancing, giggly, laughing, hyper teenage girls with sleeping bags and energy to burn. I did ask all the important questions:
"Will there be boys there?"
"No." Kayla says with a smile.
Mallory is giving me that look like, I told you so mom.
"Will there be any drugs?"
"No ma'am."
"Will there be any alcohol?"
"No. But there will be pop?"
Okay - do I really sound that strict that I don't allow my daughter to drink pop??
So I said, "Well, if there is going to be pop - she can't go."
Kayla stopped and looked at me, trying to figure out if I was serious.
I started to laugh. "I'm just kidding."
She began to laugh too. They are taking a CD player and all the CD's of the Jonas Brothers. After I found that out I knew for sure there wouldn't be any boys there! What self-respecting boy would say out loud that he is a JoBro fan??
So, if asking a bunch of nosey questions makes me a bad momma - then I'm a bad one. But I'm a momma who loves her kids... I gave Mal the drill if there was something that she was even remotely uncomfortable with - to call me - and I will come get her. And I will... it's actually finding that barn that will be the problem.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun and memorable slumber party.

    Keep asking those questions!

    ReplyDelete