Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Fragility of Life

 
 Over this last month I have been reminded of how precious and fragile life can be. Not only with the tiny blooms and buds of springtime but also with the tender souls that God has granted in my life. My little sister was upgraded in her diagnosis of relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis to secondary progressive MS. While this may not seem significant in the words written - to the heart and soul, it's the gut-wrenching realization of how much living there is to do in the amount of time left to do it in. It's fragility is found in the diagnosis of cancer of an old schoolmate with a toddler of her own. It's found in the passing of time at the nursing home ... wondering, why am I still here? What purpose am I serving? It's found in the hurried harried life of another sister struggling to get through nursing school while trying to wear the many hats that she's been given - wife, mom, student, taxi, chef, referee, cheerleader, this list goes on and on... God grant me the words to bring sweetness to the heartbroken. Lord reach down and cradle those hurting so deeply tonight. Holy Spirit, intervene... intervene with groans and a language unknown to human ears but so near to the heart of the Father. Help me to treasure each moment. Guard my heart in those moments that bring tears to the eyes. Guard my mouth, Lord, in those moments that want to lash out with harsh words. Help me to be a blessing to others. Let my actions and words honor You.

1 comment:

  1. I should have commented on this the very first time I read it, but I didn't. I go back at least once a week and read this one particular blog. I love you. I don't tell you or my other sister's enough how much I love you all. I am the person that I am today thank you to the influence of you and Stacey and I know I am a better person for it. I know that when I am gone that you will make my legacy live on with my children and I can't tell you how much that means to me because I know that you will never let me down. I know that the night that I looked at you and made you promise me that you would make sure my children know what kind of person that I really am and that they would continue to know "my family"...I know that your promise was heart felt and true. I love you Stephanie. From the bottom of my heart. I could not have better sister's. God knew what he was doing when he sent me to Mom and Dad to be raised with you. I love you, and I know you love my children as much as you love your own and that means everything to me. A sister's promise is forever, and this sister's love is forever. Thank you for being you. Love, Shannon

    ReplyDelete