Monday, October 26, 2009

Seventeen Years of Joy

I remember it like it was yesterday...... MANY YEARS EARLIER........ All the walking. In a big square. Over and over. Please don't send me home. Please don't send me home again. I WANT this to happen today... wait, what just happened? Uh, could you help me? Yes, it's in my socks. It DID??! Yes! My water broke!! I won't be going home! I'm having a baby today! ...... I went into labor early in the morning that particular day. But - I had been in labor before too! I had been taking pills to stop it. But this was the real thing. I got up showered. Put on make up. How sweet! I'm in labor and we're having a baby.... MANY HOURS LATER ..... 1,2,3, PUSH! 5,6,7, PUSH! It's a girl!! Oh, look at her - she's beautiful!! What's her name, Mom? It's Mallory. Her name is Mallory. Honey - you did it! I'm so proud of you! Why isn't she crying? She will - it's okay. And then there it was - that first wail that makes your heart sing. Wow. That crying baby belongs to me? I'm a mom! I'm a mom at last! Look babe - you are a Daddy!! Mom, Mom - look at your grandbaby!! .........   MANY YEARS LATER ....... Mom - I'm leaving for school. I've got late band practice. I'm gonna grab dinner after work. See you later! Love you! .......... That was a fast 17 years. One of those space/time things they don't prepare you for in lamaze class - or any class for that matter. We just brought her home from the hospital. She was just in my arms wrapped in a pinky fuzzy blanket.... she was just riding rides at the kiddy park.... learning how to ride a bike without training wheels.... having her tonsils out..... getting braces on....... getting braces off..... going to her first school dance...... driving herself to school.... I know what's coming. But I'm not going to look at it yet. I'm going to keep it hidden and just look at her. Beautiful. Ready to fly. God give me grace to just let her keep putting one foot in front of the other. I know that those steps are leading away from home but I know that You've got her. Keep her. Hold her tight. Be there when I can't. Cause that's my heart... walking around outside my body. Thank You God for the pure joy you have given me in her. Happy birthday sweetie. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Happy memories....
    Treasure those moments.

    To answer your ?: I did my blog banner totally in Picnik.
    It's a free site.
    Go ahead..
    Go play with one of your photos.
    :)

    ReplyDelete