Monday, October 19, 2009

I Found Dad's Caggets

Today was such a good day... I love it when your kids say stuff that you know will stick with you forever. I can still remember some of Mallory's first words that I didn't want her to ever learn to say correctly: mazgeen (magazine), canpakes (pancakes) hotcorn (popcorn), cowpetter (catapillar), wavoo (water). So precious! I was able to go visit my grandpa who was recently moved to a nursing home. We had a nice visit - the boys did pretty good... till they decided it was time to go. "Mom - I'm ready to get out of here." says Nolan. "Nolan that's not nice -we are here to visit." I said. "Well, I'm done visiting. Can we go home now?" Thankfully my grandpa remembers that there is really nothing for a nine year old and a five year old to do there. I decided it might be best to get them out of there before they started climbing up the walls.

We got home, Daddy made chili and we watched Monday night football. After picking up legos and barking out orders that it was time for bed, I sat down on the loveseat to put hydrocortisone cream on our dog Zoie's paws. She is currently going through a bout of OCD and can't seem to leave her paws alone. Nolan saw one look at her hairless paws and went running for the bedroom. "Clay! Clay! Come look at Zoie's paws!" Clay came running in with Nolan, stopped and looked closely at the dog's paws and said - "Eww, gross. You know, mom, I think we need to take her to the vegetarian!" To which Nolan replied, "Yeah, and to the doctor too!" To which Scott said, "Why do you care what the doctor eats?" The blank stare he got from the boys was priceless. Humor wasted on the young....

"Okay boys - time for bed!" I said. Clay didn't get to sleep until midnight the night before so I knew it wouldn't take long for him to settle in. We have tried several things to keep the boys in bed. Our latest idea is that we set the kitchen timer for "15 minutes" (which is actually 25 but they can't see that cause they are in bed!). They have to hold their eyes shut for "15 minutes". If they are still awake when the timer goes off, I will lay down with them for a bit. Clay went to sleep right away. But Nolan? Nope. He wasn't having any of that. He wanted to lay down with me. So he waited for the timer.... buzzzzzzzz. He sprang up out of bed - "Mom I'm still awake. I'm gonna go get in your bed and wait for you."

"Okay son - I'll be right there." A parent never moves fast enough for a five year old. Never. Nolan hollers for me.
"Mom! I found Daddy's caggets!" What?
"What honey? Could you say that again?"
"I said I found Dad's caggets!" I'm almost scared to ask.
"Okay. Can you bring them here?"
"Yeah" he said. Down the hallway he marches. Favorite blue blanket draped around his neck, he stretches out his little chubby hand and shows me two bright orange foam earplugs.
"Dad's caggets. See?" he said beaming with pride. "Thank you son." I told him. "You're welcome. Can we go lay down now?" Yes we can. Yep. Been a good day...

No comments:

Post a Comment