Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's Been Too Long...

December was a crazy time for our family. All the coming and going. Family gatherings. Church functions. Community celebrations.... whew. I'm glad December is over! There have been so many things to cross my mind -- "I've got to remember to blog that..." Even my family says stuff like, "there's something for your blog!" So in no particular order... here are some things you might have heard from a family member at one time or another in the last month:

"Mom - that lady comes to my class but one time I saw her - she downloaded her hair. It didn't look like that," said Nolan as he was pointing to a woman that comes to his classroom. "Really? She downloaded her hair?" was my reply. "No. Not off the internet or anything. I mean it wasn't up," he says while using his index fingers, placed closely to the back of his head, and pointing upwards.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ha ha ha - Nolan, I'm gonna stick this in your kah-rotch!" Clay shouted, laughing at his brother with a new light saber in hand. They were supposed to be putting their jammies on. The word "crotch" is not totally acceptable in our home but it's better than some of the alternatives. That being said, my boys have turned that one syllable word into  a two-syllable one, which unfortunately, makes it even funnier. My response to that was to holler back: "No one is sticking anything in anyone's crotch!"... oh, my. If someone had been standing outside our front door - what would they be thinking right now??
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I am allergic to hard shellfish. I can eat shrimp but I will never know the joys of lobster or crab (although I don't know that I am totally missing out on that) dipped in butter. Mallory is apprehensive to even try crab because she wonders if she might be allergic too. Not the boys. They dive in face first. One of the last times we went out for dinner, Clay ordered shrimp and crab enchiladas. After eating till he was full, he poked a bunch of crab on his fork and waved it at Mallory. "Come on, Mal. Just try it. It's good." he says with a grin. "No, Clay, I don't want to."
"Come on, Mal! It's not going to hurt you. It's dead!"
Mallory laughs easy - which is so nice - cause all my kids have a beautiful laugh.... and Nolan doesn't want her to miss out either - so, thinking she might not fully understand dead.... "Yeah, Mal. They just went to the beach with their shotgun. Saw a crab. Shot it and cooked it. It's okay..." The restaurant was mostly empty on our side but there was enough laughter at our table to fill the place. We kept picturing someone jogging down the beach, with a gun, crab hunting. .....


No comments:

Post a Comment