Monday, November 11, 2013

Forty-One

Last week at church we had a Fall Faith Rally. I was only able to attend one night because I got sick. But Scott was able to go and God touched his heart with the message of forty-one. He came home from church talking about forty-one and now I am finding strength in the retelling of it. While I don't know the full body of how the speaker brought the message, I can share with you what for...ty-one means to me.

In the book of Genesis (30; 37; 39-40) you'll find the story of Joseph. You may remember it from the coat of many colors aspect? Joseph's brothers despised him; in fact, all but one wanted to kill him! They took his precious coat and tossed him into a dry cistern (an underground water resevoir or well) while trying to decide what to do with him. All but his brother Reuben decided to sell him to slave traders for 20 pieces of silver. And then off to Egypt Joseph went. Away from the life he loved. Away from the life he trusted. Away from the life that was familiar. Away from the life that was easy. But God was with Joseph and blessed him. His new master saw that God was with him and that God gave him success in everything he did. The Lord blessed the master, Potiphar, and his household because of Joseph.

Even while doing everything right, Joseph is falsely accused by Potiphar's wife. ("Hey Joey, have sex with me." "Uh, no that would be wrong." "Come on Joey, come to bed with me." "What part of no don't you understand?! "- I'm paraphrasing, of course.) Joseph did what was right in the eyes of God and still was thrown in jail. And not for just a couple of days. We're talking a couple of years! Potiphar sided with the wife. Most honorable men would side with the wife over the slave.

The point is - everything seemed to be going good for Joseph! He was the man in charge! The Bible clearly states that even under bondage and captivity, Joseph was blessed! How many times have we felt in bondage to our bills? In captivity to the daily grind? BUT in comparison to the rest of the world - we are enormously blessed. Beginning in chapter 41 - God sets about righting the wrongs in Joseph's life. Was it instant? No. Was their purpose in Joseph's journey? You bet. It wasn't until Scott shared this word from God with me that I realized I've been stuck in chapter 40 for a while. I've been in my own "Egypt" probably by my own doing in some areas. Away from the life I loved - I lost my Dad. Away from life that was familiar - my daughter moved to college. Away from the life that was easy - I had to put my dog down. Away from the life I trusted - my husband changed jobs. My husband lost his job. And here we are in limbo. Scary limbo. And yet God says, "Hang on! Chapter 41 is coming! I'm in the process of righting the wrongs. I'm in the process of healing the hurts. I'm still providing! Stay with Me!"
 


It's been easy to back way off. Hurt. Angry at life. Spiritually wandering. And God whispers, "Chapter 41 is coming."

It's easy to be bitter. Sad. Heartbroken. And God whispers, "Chapter 41 is coming."

And so the prayer becomes, "Lord, give me the courage to stay with You in my head, in my heart, and where You have me."

When I miss my dad. When I miss my daughter. When I miss my dog. When money is low and bills are high. When jobs are scarce. When gas prices soar. When the stock market falls. When the cupboard is bare. When there is no vacation. When I'm down. When I'm up. God whispers, "Stay with Me. Chapter 41 is coming."

Give me courage to stay, Lord. Give me courage to stand. In my head, in my heart, and where You have me during my chapter 40 because I know chapter 41 is coming. Love to you! sm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment